Unleash your inner confectioner and make these bourbon vanilla bean caramel chews! Sweet, salty, buttery, rich and filled with vanilla bean flavor and smooth bourbon, they're simply irresistible!
Large heavy bottomed stainless steel pot - because caramel will bubble up while it reaches temperature so make sure you're using a large enough pot that it won't bubble over.
Candy thermometer - This recipe requires a thermometer to ensure it reaches the "soft roll" stage
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture
- Impressive but super easy to make
- Rich caramel flavor highlighted by a splash of bourbon and vanilla bean
- Perfect for gifting and cookie boxes
These homemade bourbon vanilla caramels are made with pantry staple ingredients, with the exception of corn syrup. Corn syrup ins't something we always have around, but I don't mind it during the holidays for the classics, like other homemade candy and pecan pie. You'll be surprised how simple homemade caramels are to make!
- Sugar - Any brand of white granulated sugar will work fine.
- Butter - Real, unsalted butter works best here and gives these caramels their rich flavor.
- Light corn syrup - Light corn syrup prevents sugar crystallization after the caramels are made.
- Kosher sea salt - Big flaky sea salt adds the perfect finishing touch!
- Condensed milk - Provides a rich, milk flavor and helps bind the caramels together
- Heavy Cream - Provides richness and balance
- Bourbon whisky - Whisky has vanilla, oak, and caramel notes so it's perfect in caramel candies
- Vanilla bean - vanilla beans come in long pods that you scrape the seeds from, the flavor will be far more intense than vanilla extract!
How to make it
Start by melting your butter, corn syrup and sugar
Once the mixture starts bubbling, slowly add in your condensed milk and cream. Simmer on low for 10 minutes, mixing continuously.
Finally, add in your vanilla bean and whisky.
Add in your candy thermometer and wait til your caramel reaches 240 degrees F or 115 C
Pour into a 9x13 pan with parchment paper and let it cool overnight
Slice your caramels and wrap them up. I found individual candy wrappers, and love the gold ones for a nostalgic feel.
Caramels will last one month wrapped in the refrigerator.
Bourbon Vanilla Bean Caramel Chews
- 4 cups sugar 800 grams
- 2 sticks of butter 1 cup or 227 grams
- 2 cups white corn syrup 736 grams
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 14 oz. can condensed milk standard can
- 1 cup heavy cream 240 grams 8 oz
- ¼ cup or 2 fl oz bourbon whisky
- Start by melting your butter, corn syrup and sugar
- Once the mixture starts bubbling, slowly add in your condensed milk and cream. Simmer on low for 10 minutes, mixing continuously.
- Then add in your vanilla bean and whisky.
- Add in your candy thermometer and wait til your caramel reaches 240 degrees F or 115 C
- Pour into a 9x13 pan with parchment paper and let it cool overnight
- Slice your caramels and wrap them up.