Creamy slow cooker cajun shrimp and corn chowder is the perfect hearty soup for any time of the year. This chowder couldn't be easier as a weeknight meal, as it cooks all day in your slow cooker.
The perfect winter soup! This cajun shrimp corn chowder recipe is rich and hearty, full of delicious spices. It's also packed with protein-packed shrimp creaminess from the milk combined with buttery kernels that are just sweet enough to balance out all those flavors in this savory dish.
This corn soup recipe was a real winner in my house. As we approach a season of cold weather we're grateful for frozen veggies that have gone out of season, like sweet corn. Frozen corn yields a very flavorful creamy base of this soup. This recipe uses creamed corn, fresh sweet peppers, potatoes, cajun spices, and fresh shrimp for one seriously flavorful combination the whole family will love.
Why this recipe is delicious
Using pureed corn amplifies the sweet corn's flavor, but the starch released also helps give this chowder a rich and creamy base.
Ingredients in slow cooker cajun shrimp and corn chowder
Quantities listed in recipe card
Put these on your grocery list because you need this shrimp chowder!
- Heavy cream
- Red bell pepper and green bell pepper
- Frozen corn
- Shrimp stock, seafood stock or chicken stock
- Old bay seasoning
- Creole seasoning
Step by step how to make creamy cajun shrimp corn chowder
- Let your corn thaw and add four cups of corn kernels and 2 cups of your stock into your blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into slow cooker.
- The next steep is to sauté your onion, garlic, pepper and one cup of corn. Transfer the slightly browned bits and sautéed veggies into your slow cooker.
- Add remaining corn, stock and potatoes into slow cooker. Cook for 5-7 hours on low.
- Stir in shrimp and cream and cook on low until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What can I pair this soup with?
- This soup goes perfectly with my jalapeño cheddar cream biscuits or a crusty piece of bread.
- It would also be perfect with crushed salty pieces of bacon.
Can I add the shrimp earlier than the recipe indicates?
I do not recommend it. Cooking your shrimp that long will result in ultra soft and ultra small shrimp. If you want, you can bring water to a gentle boil, cook them and then immediately transfer to your soup.
Can I use fresh corn?
Yes! But you will need 6 cups. I find it simple to buy a frozen bag.
Can I make this soup in my instant pot?
Absolutely. You can sauttee your veggies right in the instant pot and use the slow cooker mode.
Can I make this recipe if I don't have a slow cooker?
Yes, you can use a dutch oven as a soup pot and cook on low for two hours.
Can I make this recipe if I don't have a blender?
Yes, use an immersion blender or food processor to process your corn to the best of your ability.
Can I make this recipe dairy free?
Yes, you can replace the cream for coconut milk. It will change the flavor, but it will be delicious!
- 6 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 12 ounces red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound medium-large shrimp (31 to 40 per pound), peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
Let your corn thaw and add four cups of corn kernels and 2 cups of your stock into your blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into slow cooker.
The next steep is to sauté your onion, garlic, pepper and one cup of corn. Transfer the slightly browned bits and sautéed veggies into your slow cooker.
Add remaining corn, stock and potatoes into slow cooker. Cook for 5-7 hours on low.
Stir in shrimp and cream and cook on low until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Serve within three days of making
Or freeze in a ziplock bag for up to one month. Thaw before reheating.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 222Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 20mgFiber 4gSugar 7gProtein 6g