These healthy homemade fruit roll ups with applesauce are a delicious a zero-waste craft activity. They are made in the oven, no dehydrator or special tools needed.Growing up, we had no shortage of fruit roll-ups or gushers in our house. My sister and I loved that type of sweet "fruit" snack. Now, my own children love gummy-type fruit snacks, too. I mean, who doesn't? Fruit roll ups aka fruit leathers and snacks aren't available where we are currently living, so I did what I always do - make our own.
Why you will love making these homemade fruit leathers:
- Not only are they delicious, but they can also easily become a zero-waste craft activity since your kids can help cut and roll them, which makes them even more enjoyable.
- Making these fruit leathers are a great ways to nourish bodies and find enjoyable crafts to do together. Once you make these, they will become a staple in your home. And what's better than creating something that is zero waste and earth-friendly? We love making and baking our own snacks, because single use plastic is bad for our planet.
- These are a great gluten free and vegan snack for kids. If you're hosting a playdate, make some the day before so you have something just in case anyone needs something gluten free or vegan!
How to make homemade fruit roll ups:To make fruit leathers, you can puree other types of fruit that you have on hand, but I have found that they turn out best when I use some applesauce. Therefore, I always use at least ½ homemade applesauce. The only ingredient you need for this recipe is pureed fruit (fresh or frozen is fine). Optionally, you can also add spices like cinnamon, honey or any sweetener of choice. We love a good, adaptable recipe! Tip: If you want to make applesauce at home, give this simple recipe a try: How to make homemade apple sauce AND if you make your applesauce from scratch, don't forget to save your apple peels for my Homemade cinnamon apple peel pancake syrup.
Fruit roll up recipe ideas:
- Applesauce + mixed berry
- Applesauce + cinnamon
- Applesauce + mango
- Applesauce + sweet potato
- Applesauce + pear
Simple steps + tips for making Healthy homemade fruit roll ups with applesauce
- Preparing your fruit roll up, fruit leather
- Baking your fruit roll up, fruit leather, no dehydrator needed!
- Cooling your fruit roll up
- Peeling your fruit roll up
- Cutting your fruit roll up
- Rolling your fruit roll up
How to store your fruit leatherPlace and store into an airtight container. I do not know how long these will last, because my children always eat all of them in a day! 🙂 However, because they are dehydrated - they should last at least two weeks. I am certain that they wont, though. 😉
- Two cups of fruit puree of your choice. Applesauce is recommended for at least one cup.
- OPTIONAL: sweetener of choice, such as honey.
- Blend your fruit in blender or food processor until completely combined.
- Pour onto baking sheet, over parchment paper or silicone bake mat.
- Dehydrate by baking at 150 degrees F for five hours.
- After five hours, check to see if leathers are fully dehydrated. If not, continue to let them bake and check every 30 minutes.
- Once dehydrated, let cool for an hour.
- Peel from baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Slice into 1 inch slice.
- Roll into fruit leathers.
Store in an airtight container. Enjoy within two weeks!
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 21Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 0g
We usually make plain apple fruit leathers, but I love to make apple pumpkin if I'm lucky enough to have pumpkin puree lying around. The nutrition facts in this recipe are based on apple pumpkin fruit leathers.
More oven dried recipes to try:
More popular homemade candy recipes on the blog:
Sending love, fresh baked cookies, and a bouquet of your favorite flowers.