Soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies
During the winter months, you need to know how to make soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies. Who doesn't love a good, chewy molasses ginger cookie? These cookies have the classic taste of spicy ginger with a crackly exterior and moist center.
As we approach the holiday season, this time of year calls for dark molasses for for all of your favorite ginger recipes. From gingerbread men, gingersnap cookies, and these chewy ginger molasses cookies, these are the classic holiday cookie you want to take to your cookie exchanges.
These are the traditional old fashioned molasses cookies that will easily become one of your favorite recipes for your Christmas cookie box. And if you've got left over molasses, enjoy these Gingerbread Whoopie Pies with eggnog frosting or Ginger molasses cookie sandwich
Why this recipe is the best
- These soft and spicy molasses cookies that regular baking spices you'd expect to find in cookies, but some extra ginger and black pepper take the flavor up a whole notch, and you're going to love it!
- Once baked and cooled, you'll end up with wonderful, soft, spiced cookies with a dramatic spice. They're irresistable!
- They're perfect for a holiday cookie exchange.
- 1 cup granulated sugar + ½ granulated sugar cup for dipping
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons fresh ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1½ sticks), softened but still cool
- 1 large yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark molasses
This dough is simple to work with. However, they are large and the cookie dough will spread a lot. I'd recommend only baking 4 cookies on a sheet at a time to prevent them baking together. Leave plenty of space in between them. If desired, you can let the dough chill for up to 30 minutes to help prevent some spreading, but it is not necessary to yield a soft cookie in this recipe.
Step by step how to make these cookies
First you'll make the dough by creaming your butter and brown sugar in a medium sized bowl (about 3 minutes)
Once your butter and sugar and nice, light and fluffy, you'll crack your egg in. Whisk until completely combined.
Then add in your vanilla and molasses. Mix until completely combined and smooth.
Set aside while you combine your dry ingredients.
Next you'll mix your your flour, freshly grated ginger, and spices together.
Mix your flour + spices into your wet ingredients and combine until a dough is formed.
Scoop your dough with an ice cream scoop, and then roll into balls
Dip into your granulated sugar
Then you'll ready to place your cookie dough on your baking sheet.
More molasses cookie recipes
I hope this recipe works beautifully for you and is enjoyed for many years to come. Thank you so much for reading. Your visit to my site helped support a small mama run business today. If you enjoyed it, I would be so honored if you would share with your loved ones.
Sending love, fresh baked cookies, and a bouquet of your favorite flowers.