Honey lavender ice cream is a creamy, naturally colored and sweetened spring and summer delight. With this recipe you’ll learn how to make a delectable old fashioned honey lavender ice cream sundae that’s sure to satisfy your inner garden fairy.
Honey + lavender + shortbread just blend together like a dream. This ice cream sundae is full of natural summer aesthetic we’re dreaming of. Grab and spoon while this ice cream teleports you to a cozy cottage with idealistic views, where we hear the birds chirping and watch the butterflies enjoying the garden. With simple ingredients every kitchen witch always has on hands, you’ll be satisfying your floral sweet tooth in no time.
Recently a colleague discovered a had a blog filled with lavender recipes. “I always love getting lavender ice cream at fancy restaurants” prompted me to share a beautiful and delicious lavender honey ice cream recipe you can make at home. And why not turn it into a sundae? Add a beautiful honey topping with shortbread crumbles to complete this honey lavender ice cream sundae.
Key steps in making perfect icecream at home
- Create an old fashioned custard ice cream by combining egg yolks, heavy cream, fresh or dried lavender flowers, honey and salt. This combination will yield in a velvety smooth ice cream.
- Another key step in making perfect ice cream at home is to slowly mix and simmer the ingredients for twenty minutes, allowing the ice cream to and then letting the mixture cool completely. Do not overheat your mixture as we do not want to cook our eggs, just thicken the mixture for the right consistency.
- Lastly, you will want to completely chill to mixture before churning the ice cream. I always allow my mixture to cool in the refrigerator for two – 24 hours. Overnight is recommended, but not necessary.
- I use my ice cream maker, but you can still make this recipe without one.
Turning this honey lavender icecream into a sundae
- In vintage bowls or adorable mini buckets
- Drizzled with warm honey
- Sprinkled with our lavender and blueberry granola
- With freshly baked shortbread crumbles, or simply crumble up your favorite shortbread or graham crackers.
For homemade shortbread crumble, simply make your favorite shortbread cookie dough, crumble into small pieces, and bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven (350 degrees F), or until golden brown. Try baking our Lavender shortbread cookie crust tart with zesty lemon curd and use some leftover cookie crumbles, or our Orange, thyme + rosemary shortbread cookies.
What to serve with your lavender honey ice cream
- Lavender apricot pie
- Lavender iced coffee
- Lavender shortbread cookie tart
- Lavender buttermilk pancakes
- Lavender honey bars
Storing your homemade ice cream:
Homemade ice cream should be stored in a sealed, air tight container that’s easy to scoop from. Because homemade ice creams often aren’t prepared with any preservatives or stabilizers, we like to enjoy ours within two weeks. Otherwise, we find they become difficult to scoop. They will not spoil in the freezer in that time frame though.
Recommended in this recipe:
As an amazon affiliate, I may earn commission from your purchase of these products, at no extra cost to you. I only recommend exactly what we love and use in our own cottage kitchen. Thank you for supporting frolic and fare!
Now onto the recipe!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dried culinary lavender
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients two a small sauce pan
- On low heat, mix consistently, and slowly simmer and mix for twenty minutes.
- If desired, sieve ingredients into a heat proof container. I personally leave my lavender flowers in.
- Let mixture cool for at least two hours.
- Add ice cream to ice cream maker and churn according to manufactuer's recommendations. Ours churns for twenty minutes. Ice cream should double in volume and be solid, but soft when done.
- Add mixture to an air tight, sealable container and freeze for at least three hours before serving.
If desired, serve with warm honey and shortbread crumbles!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 servings (of 2 scoops per serving) Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 266Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 0gSugar 10gProtein 5g